Stan Palmer, trading as Stan Palmer Limited, are committed to protecting and respecting any personal information you share with us.
We collect your personal information because it helps us to understand your needs and guides the way in which we interact and communicate with you about our products and services both now and in the future. We have policies and procedures in place to protect your data when we acquire it and when we process it, in order to provide you with the services you have requested or, where you have given us your permission to do so and to send you information that we think you’ll find interesting.
This statement describes what types of information we collect from you, how it is used by us, how we share it with others, how you can manage the information we hold and how you can contact us.
Information we collect
We collect information about you and your vehicle when you engage with our website. We only collect information which is necessary, relevant and adequate for the purpose you are providing it for.
We collect information about you or your vehicle when you use the Stan Palmer website (http://www.stanpalmer.co.uk). Some of this information does not identify you personally, but provides us with information about how you use our services and engage with us (we use this information to improve our services and make them more useful to you). The information we collect includes some or all of the following:
• Name (including title);
• Phone number;
• Date of birth;
• Email address;
• Vehicle information (including registration number, VIN, service reminders, mileage and warranty repair information);
• The date and time you used our services;
• The pages you visited on our website and how long you visited us for;
• Your IP address;
• Your GPS location (where you have permitted access to this);
• The internet browser and devices you are using;
• The website address from which you accessed our website;
• Any information within correspondence you send to us.
Processing your data lawfully
We will normally process your data strictly in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679) (“GDPR”) under our chosen lawful reason of legitimate interests which means we will only use it for the purposes for which it was collected
We will normally process your personal information as set out below and use it where it is necessary for us to carry out activities for which it is in our legitimate interests as a business to do so.
• To verify the accuracy of information that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as a customer.
• To respond to your enquiries and fulfil any requests you make to us.
• To provide vehicle support and service activities (for example warranty services)
• To analyse, evaluate and improve our sales and service performance so that your visits and use of our website are more useful and enjoyable.
• To send you marketing information from time to time after you have purchased a product or service from us, made a purchasing enquiry or requested a test drive, brochure or other information of interest. We will only contact you with information about our own products and services which we hope you will like (and in ways the law allows). You have the right to object to us sending you this information at any time.
• To contact you from time to time with marketing information (unless you object) if you have expressly indicated to us that you are acting on behalf of a business. In relation to any such information we send by email or SMS we will include an option allowing you to object to receiving future messages by unsubscribing.
• To contact you with targeted advertising delivered online through social media and other platforms operated by other companies, unless you object.
• To administer competitions and promotions that you enter with us from time to time and to distribute prizes.
• To verify the accuracy of information that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as a customer.
• For network and security purposes i.e. in order for us to take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access.
• To comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of your rights.
• To inform you of updates to our terms and conditions and policies.
Under some circumstances we may process your personal information under a different lawful reason:
We may process your personal information to comply with our legal requirements (for example to register your car with the DVLA).
Sometimes we will need to process your personal information to contact you if there is an urgent safety or product recall and we need to tell you about it.
Where you have provided your consent we may use, and process your information to:
• Contact you from time to time about promotions, events, products, services or information which we think may be of interest to you
• To share your personal information with our recommended third party partners, so that they can contact you with marketing information about their products and services.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us on the details provided
We may use and process your personal information where this is necessary to perform a contract with you and to fulfil and complete your orders, purchases and other transactions entered into with us.
Other websites and social networking
Our website (www.stanpalmer.co.uk) may contain links to other websites which are outside our control and are not covered by this Policy. If you access other websites using the links provided, the operators of those websites may collect information from you which will be used by them in accordance with their privacy policies, which may differ from ours.
Our website (www.stanpalmer.co.uk) may also offer you the opportunity to share or follow information about us, using third party social networking functionality (such as through “share this”, “like” or “follow” buttons).
We offer this functionality in order to generate interest in our website among the members of your social networks, and to permit you to share and follow opinions, news and recommendations about our website with your contacts. However, you should be aware that sharing personal information with a social network may result in that information being collected by the social network provider and being made publicly-available, including through internet search engines.
Sharing your data with other companies
We may share your data with other group companies, our Franchise partner and other associate companies only within the UK, to fulfil the requirements of your purchase or services both now and in the future. We may pass your data to an organisation who may contact you to assist in statistical analysis but will not divulge it to any other organisation unless we are obliged to disclose your data by law. You will be informed at point of sale as to who we will share your data with. This will depend on the actual product or service purchased.
We do not sell your information to third parties. However, we will from time to time disclose your information to our franchisors and third party suppliers relevant to the products and services you have purchased so they may supply the relevant product or service to you.
We take steps to ensure that any third-party suppliers or franchisor who handle your information comply with data protection legislation and protect your information just as we do. We only disclose personal information that is necessary for them to provide the service they are undertaking for you.
How long we keep your information for
We will not hold your personal information in an identifiable format for any longer than is necessary. If you are a customer or otherwise have a relationship with us we will hold personal information about you for a longer period than if we have obtained your details in connection with a prospective relationship.
We do not retain personal information in an identifiable format for longer than is necessary.
If we have a relationship with you (e.g. you are a customer or the registered driver of a leased or other vehicle purchased from us or an authorised repairer), we hold your personal information for 6 years from the date our relationship ends (10 years for product liability). We hold your personal information for this period to establish, bring or defend legal claims. Our relationship may end for a number of reasons including where the vehicle warranty or lease expires, or we have been made aware that you no longer own or drive the vehicle.
Where we have obtained your personal information following a request for information, test drive, brochure, quotation or any other information on any of our products or services, we hold your personal information for 1 year and 6 months from the date we collect that information, unless during that period we form a relationship with you e.g. you purchase or lease a vehicle. We hold your personal information for this period to give us an opportunity to form a relationship with you.
The only exceptions to the periods mentioned above are where:
• The law requires us to hold your personal information for a longer period, or delete it sooner;
• You have raised a complaint or concern regarding a product or service offered by us, in which case we will retain your information for a period of 6 years (10 years for product liability) following the date of that complaint or query; or
• You exercise your right to have the information erased (where it applies) and we do not need to hold it in connection with any of the reasons permitted or required under the law.
How you can manage the information we hold about you
You have the right as an individual to access your personal information we hold about you and make corrections if necessary. You also have the right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us and ask us to erase information we hold about you. You can also object to us using your personal information (where we rely on our business interests to process and use your personal information).
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information under data protection law. In relation to most rights, we will ask you for information to confirm your identity and, where applicable, to help us search for your personal information. Except in rare cases, we will respond to you within 30 days after we have received any request (including any identification documents requested).
You have the right to:
• Ask for a copy of the information that we hold about you;
• Correct and update your information;
• Withdraw your consent (where we rely on it).
• Object to our use of your information (where we rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information) provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process the information. When we do rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information for direct marketing, we will always comply with your right to object;
• Erase your information (or restrict the use of it), provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process that information;
• Transfer your information in a structured data file (in a commonly used and machine readable format), where we rely on your consent to use and process your personal information or need to process it in connection with your contract.
You can exercise the above rights and/or manage your information by contacting us using the details below:
Post: Data Controller, Stan Palmer Limited, The Garage, Bolton Low Houses, Wigton, Cumbria CA7 8PF
Phone: 016973 43361
If you have any specific data protection concerns or a complaint, you can address it to Data Protection at email@example.com
If you are unhappy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection regulator in Europe, in particular in a country you work or live or where your legal rights have been infringed.
The contact details for the Information Commissioner’s Office, the data protection regulator in the UK, are below:
Information Commissioner's Office
Call: 0303 123 1113
The content of this policy may change from time to time so you may wish to check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy to share your information with us. Where possible we will contact you directly to notify you of any changes.
This version was last updated on the 24th May 2018